Top 10 Environmentally Friendly Yarns That Look Great
It's sexy to be environmentally friendly and with lots of great options out there it is easier than ever! If you are not sure how you can be environmentally friendly while still enjoying your favorite hobbies, then keep reading. The easiest way to be environmentally conscious is to look at the products you buy. Look for products that are made from renewable resources, are produced without using chemicals or that divert items from landfills. Here's a list of 10 yarns that do just that.
1. Alpaca / Llama EcoSoft Yarn: Incredibly soft, this yarn is made from 80% llama fleece and 20% alpaca fleece. It's naturally hypoallergenic and non-shedding. Best of all, it can be machined washed on the gentle cycle in cold water.
2. Bamboo Yarn: This yarn is made from 100% bamboo. Bamboo is a wonderful renewable resource, as it can grow at a rate of up to three to four feet a day, depending on the climate it is grown in. The bamboo yarn comes in 16 different colors and has a soft and silky feel to it.
3. Corn Yarn: One of the newer yarns out on the market, it is made from corn fibers. This produces a yarn that has a flat, but wide strand. It can also go in both the washer and dryer, making it very easy to take care of.
4. 100% Hemp: This yarn also comes from a renewable resource, one that is at the top of the list as hemp produces more fiber, oil and protein than any other plant out there. Hemp fibers are also very strong, which will help your knitted pieces to last even longer.
5. Nepalese Recycled Silk Sari Yarn: It is made in Nepal with the scraps of silk fabric that are left over from the process of making saris. Not only does this create more jobs for the local women, but it also saves the silk scrapes from being thrown into a landfill.
6. 100% Organic Cotton: Made from 100% organically grown cotton without the use of agricultural chemicals. Natural dyes are used to give color to the chunky yarn that is perfect to use for cable knits.
7. Organic Marino Yarn: It's made from 100% certified organic wool. No harsh chemicals are used to process the wool. Soft and durable wash after wash.
8. Recycled Sarongs Yarn: Workers take recycled Balinese sarongs and make hand-spun yarn from them. The proceeds from all sales are used to provide health care, education and shelter to families in Nepal and Indonesia. How great is that?
9. SeaSilk Yarn: You guessed it – this yarn is made in part from seaweed. About 30% of the yarn is made from seaweed fiber and the remaining 70% is made from silk. It is hand dyed in rich, vibrant colors that makes it perfect for bold knits.
10. Soysilk Yarn: It's made from soy proteins that are spun into yarn. Since it is made from soy, this yarn is yet another one that comes from a renewable resource. It has a silk like texture, it is soft and best of all, it keeps you warm.